USS Plunger Brass Plaque
A solid brass plaque from the USS Plunger-SSN-595. Mounted on a slab of mahogany measuring 9 3/4 tall x 8 3/4 wide. A glorious piece of naval marine history. Read some history below…
The contract to build her as a guided-missile submarine (SSGN) was awarded to Mare Island Naval Shipyard on 23 March 1959, but by the time her keel was laid down on 2 March 1960 she had been redesigned as an attack submarine (SSN). She was launched on 9 December 1961 (sponsored by Mrs. Clinton P. Anderson), and commissioned on 21 November 1962, with Commander William M. Adams, Jr., in command.